Why? What is this madness? 🧐
May 19, 2019
I’ve spent a lot of time building products that nobody wants. I’m pretty keen for that trend to not continue.
So in an attempt to fix this, I’ve decided to publicly commit to validating one product every week… until something works.
I know you’ve probably seen other attempts at this like - 12 startups in 12 months (which was actually pretty successful). And, this is not an attempt to get more extreme for the sake of it. Here are my reasons for choosing 1 week as my baseline.
- Many ideas have a critical unforeseen issue, so getting something out fast helps validate it quickly and prevents wasting time on stuff that will never work
- It’s much easier to accurately plan progress/scope over a week
- You don’t get too attached to the product and accidentally spend 2… 3.. 6 months building it
- Launching products is hard, but the more you do it the easier it gets
- I get to learn from my mistakes and immediately put it into practice
- One week might not be enough time to get a clear picture of market sentiment for the problem / solution
That said, I won’t be completely abandoning my projects after 1 week. The aim is to get them out to see if they have any sort of positive sentiment.
I’m going to be 100% open about my experience and progress as it happens in real time. This will help keep me accountable and hopefully is useful to others.
Here are some of the things I will share:
- A new product every week
- Videos of me designing and building the app
- Lessons I learn along the way
- Revenue and metrics
If you’d like to follow along on the journey with me then pop your e-mail into the box below (I won’t send more than 1 e-mail per week).